secret weapon

By: Mrs. Swarr

Shorty after pledging to spend our lives adoring each other, Zach and I realized there are a few things we don't agree on. I happen to think They Might Be Giants does NOT provide the best musical entertainment known to man, and he will not admit that watching Love Actually 2x a week is normal. Over the past (gasp!) 4.5 years, we have managed to agree on things enough to not constantly want to throttle each other. I see this as a great success.


The one issue that remained a thorn in our sides longer than most, was how to spend our money. If I take a big ol' step back from the situation, I can safely say that Zach's spending habits are very much like any other guy's. He'd like a big, flat screen TV, more video game consoles, a new car every other year.... the basics.

How unfortunate then, that he should have chosen to chain himself to the biggest tight wad on the face of the planet. I will give Zach credit, he has made huge leaps and bounds in the spending department. That said, I cringe at least twice a day on the purchases that find their way into our home.

There is one exception to this rule. Catch me on a day when I am grumpy, send me shopping, and I will have drained all 3 savings accounts (we don't have 3 savings accounts, I exaggerated for effect). Well, last week I had a grumpy day. Actually it was more of a 'look at me and you die' kind of day, but whatever. Point is, Zach opens his big mouth and says, "Honey, why don't you let me hang out with Declan and you can just go shopping and relax."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . seriously?

Actually it turned out ok. I came home much happier, and only a little poorer. AND I brought home entertainment for Declan for the rest of the weekend. Kid was happier than a clam. If he's smart, he'll realize that all he has to do is piss off Mommy enough and she'll go buy presents.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the joys of being a woman!!!!!
xoxoxox

Gabe Swarr said...

Hey, being married to a tightwad keeps me out of the poorhouse!

I love that last picture of Declan! So funny!

Lamar The Revenger said...

i know why maribeth you say you're a tightwad. ask me when i see you face to face. i think zach will agree with me.

oh and declan, ticking mommy off to get presents falls under the bad things catagory.

Anonymous said...

Hey Zach, Samsung Flat screens are on sale at wal-mart. You gotta check it out.